My reflection blog this week is to reflect on
the YouTube video “Harvard’s Bill George:
Inner work for Authentic Leadership.” George had three points: Inner work
involves having real-world experiences, process that experience through some
type of reflection, and one should seek honest feedback from others. Using the
three points I will define some real-world experiences that have been
instructional for me, how did I take time to reflect, and who has provided
valuable feedback. Additionally, outline any practices that have affected my
leadership abilities. (George, 2012)
In the Bill George’s Authentic leadership
approach it “focuses on the characteristics of an authentic leader” George goes
on to define that authentic leaders have five characteristics: understanding
their purpose, strong values to do the right thing, establishing trust
relationships, demonstrate self-discipline and act on their values, and they
are passionate about their mission” (p197) (Northouse, 2016)
The New Leader
In 2011, I was selected for a new lead
position over a group of employees, whom where my working peers prior to the
promotion. A couple of the employees were doing tasks that I was not familiar
with, so I called a meeting to get a familiarity of all the assignments, risks,
and issues. There was one employee who was argumentative and upset because she
did not get the position of the lead. She had the boldness to call me out in
front of the team causing frustration and tension with the other team members.
She said she was not participating in my meeting because she was supposed to
have the lead position. I was completely shocked and went numb because I didn’t
know what to do. I took a pause, the girl left, and I continued on with the
meeting. I know the other team members felt uncomfortable as I could tell by
their silence and facial expressions.
I went to my director, explained what happened
and requested she be moved off of my team and put on another one. So she was
removed. There were times I had to work with her in order to complete a
project. I kept my distance and did everything I could to not have to work with
her. One day one of my teammates let me know that the distance and animosity
was very clear amongst the entire team. This animosity was making others feel
extremely uncomfortable. The team didn’t want to be caught in the middle of our
behaviors.
That feedback was hard to hear. I immediately
started to reflect on my own behavior and what experience was I leaving my team
members. I was not setting the example, or acting mature. I was letting another person’s attitude define
who I was, caused my blood pressure to continuously be high and output of the
team was tense.
I began leading projects with a different
purpose, which included making sure I treated all individuals equally with
respect, including the girl who was mad. I keep my focus on the mission,
respected each role, and encouraged everyone to participate with the trust it
would be a positive environment. Over time the tension between myself and the
other employee began to be less transparent.
In my reflection realized my actions were not
authentic at all, but very selfish and childish. I should have never removed
the employee from the team as that hurt her worse than not getting the lead
position. I was not being true to the mission, but true to myself.
Ten months later, the company decision to move
the entire program to another state. During this transformation, all the leads
lost their leader positions. This employee and I were not equal working
partners. Although I had a trust issues with her, I still worked with her as if
nothing ever happened. A couple months later she took a promotion to another
program. I was happy for her and let her know it. A few months later I started
to get job requisitions that would allow me to obtain a promotion, from this
employee. I remember thinking why would she do that? I thought she didn’t like
me. I had to again reflect on the intent of this action. I realized at that point
is that she was never mad at me, she was mad at management.
As a young leader, I knew my purpose and responsibilities
on the team. I failed at doing the right thing by having her removed from the
team. I spent time reflecting at the beginning, but I think the reflection was
off as it wasn’t until she sent me a job requisition that I realized I had the
entire situation wrong. I believe that a person’s actions are based on their beliefs
and experiences. By removing her from the team, it was not a positive
experience to the employee. Additional feedback from other team members made me
realize I was being very reactive verses being supportive.
Conclusion
In conclusion, I have many real-world experiences
where I have to reflect the situations and obtain feedback to ensure I either
do or don’t do something in the future. Feedback is powerful if you have
individuals that will give you true honest feedback, even if it is negative.
One of the pillars in my works initiative of Culture of Accountability (COA) includes
feedback and how you respond to the feedback. One of the hardest lessons for me was
obtaining feedback and then reflecting on the message being received and not
acting on it. I not sure if I am the authentic leader, as I am reflecting on
the characteristics of this type of leader. I will say that I try hard at being
authentic by establishing trust and accountability. Although I didn’t learn
from another leader, I learned from my own behavior.
References
George, B.
(2012, November 1). Harvard's Bill George: Inner Work for Authentic
Leadership. Retrieved September 27, 2016, from YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPu2LQ84ts
Northouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership:
Theory and Practice (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publication.
No comments:
Post a Comment